Getting Help



Provided by the Ministry of Health.

See web site

Call Healthline on 0800 611 116 for free advice from our trained registered nurses.

Healthline is here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Phone calls are free from within New Zealand.

Call Healthline if you’re:

  • feeling unwell – but not sure whether you need to see a doctor
  • needing some urgent advice about a family member or friend who’s sick
  • on holiday and want to know where the nearest doctor or pharmacy is.

Our Healthline nurses are specialists in assessing and advising over the phone.

If you need to talk to someone in your own language, Healthline can usually arrange this using an interpreting service.

Care Plus

See web site

Care Plus is a primary health care funding initiative to support people with high health needs due to chronic conditions, acute medical or mental health needs, or terminal illness. This is administered by the Ministry of Health.

Care Plus funding is provided to general practices to improve chronic care management, reduce inequalities, improve primary health care teamwork and reduce the cost of services for high-need patients.

Hand Therapists

You might require some help with your hands; it may be splints, special exercises, helpful aids for around home and work, and wound prevention. You can get help through a hand therapist.

Find one in your area


You may require some help with your feet,to find a podiatrist.

Find one in your area

Mobility Parking Permits

See more detail on web site

  1. You may be eligible for a mobility car parking permit if:-
  1. You are unable to walk and always require the use of a wheelchair, or
  2. Your ability to walk distances is severely restricted by a medical condition or disability. If for example, you require the use of mobility aids, experience severe pain, or breathlessness, or
  3. You have a medical condition or disability that requires you to have physical contact or close supervision to safely get around and cannot be left unattended. For example, if you experience disorientation, confusion, or severe anxiety.

Your doctor needs to confirm your eligibility, unless you are renewing a long-term permit.

Ministry of Health Home Care Support

The Ministry of Health may be able to help you in your own home with supporting you in your own home, with a range of services available if you meet the eligibility criteria, see the links below.

Home and Community Support Services

Home and Community Support Services are services funded by the Ministry to help you live at home. They can help with both household management and personal care.

Household management may include help with:

  • meal preparation
  • washing, drying or folding clothes
  • house-cleaning, vacuuming and tidying up.

Personal care may include help with:

  • eating or drinking
  • getting dressed or undressed
  • getting up in the morning or getting ready for bed
  • showering or going to the toilet
  • getting around your home.

Community Residential Support Services

Community Residential Support Services are one of a range of support services funded by the Ministry of Health. These services assist disabled people to live in a supported community environment.

See web site

Equipment and Modification Services

Do you have difficulty doing everyday activities? If you or someone in your family has a physical, intellectual, sensory (vision or hearing) or age-related disability, you may be able to get some equipment or modifications to your home or vehicle to assist you.

See web site

Individualised Funding

Individualised Funding (IF) is a way of paying for Home and Community Support Services which lets you directly manage the resources you’ve been allocated for disability supports.

See web site

Work and Income

Scleroderma may make it very difficult for you to work due to a limitation on your physical functioning, mobility, dexterity or stamina.

Work and income may be able to support you while you’re not able to work and help you realise your work goals. When it’s right for you and your family, they can help you find part-time or full-time work, get training, or become self-employed.

See overview of available services

Help with living expenses

Work and Income may be able to help you with living costs if you’re not able to work, or are working fewer hours because:

  • you have a health condition, injury or disability
  • you’re caring for someone with a health condition or a disability
  • Community Services Card
    A card that can help you and your family with the costs of health care. You’ll pay less on some health services and prescriptions.
  • House Modification Funding
    Funding for changes to your home because you or your child is disabled.
  • Residential Support Subsidy
    A subsidy for residential care needed because of a physical, intellectual, or psychiatric disability


You may be looking for a Rheumatologist, we have a link here that will take you through to the New Zealand Rheumatology Association, where you will find a list of Rheumatologists in your region.

Once you have decided on a Rheumatologist you will need to be referred to the Rheumatologist by your GP. Many of these Rheumatologists practice in the public hospital and practice privately. When seeing a Rheumatologist it is good to go along with all your concerns written down.

Having a support person is also a good idea, at least for your first few visits. Your support person can help take notes and help remind you of concerns if need be.


Shop on line for aids

Go online for help in the Kitchen,bathroom,bedroom, home living, mobility, sensory and well being, everything you can imagine:

Mobility Centre

Independent Living


Mental Health

Having Scleroderma a chronic disease can cause depression and anxiety

See the Ministry of Health’s web page for getting help with these conditions. If you prefer just to talk to a fellow Scleroderma sufferer, call Dianne Purdie on 04 479 5548